MILITARY AND VETERANS ORGANIZATIONS
- I served in the U. S. Army on active duty from 1994-2000. Yep, I neatly missed all the wars, so I have no combat time. I was, however, one of the first females integrated into an all-male company that had never had women before. This was its own kind of combat. I heard the word "FEMALE" rendered as a four-letter invective on a routine basis.
- Roughly half my service time was in the 82nd Airborne Division. I won't lie: I hated every minute of it. Well, except for the jumping out of planes part. That was AWESOME!!!!
- Before you ask that question, consider that this "perfectly good airplane" was built by the lowest bidder. The most fear I felt was when I had to stick around for the landing. Have you seen some of those pilots?
- There's a group of us former paratroopers locally, the Northern Arizona All-Airborne Chapter of the 82nd Airborne Division Association. Anyone who was jump-qualified in any branch of service (or even foreign services) is eligible to be a member. We have our meetings at the new Prescott Valley VFW post every second Wednesday at 7:00. We'd love to see you and hear about your night water jumps!!! Click on the wings to see our Facebook page!
- There are some consequences to military service (especially Airborne military service) whether in peacetime or in war: you tend to get damaged, both physically and emotionally. Luckily we have some organizations to help us out! Our local VA is awesome (can't blame local staff, who work their butts off, for the bureaucracy imposed from On High) and we have a very active local chapter of the Disabled American Veterans, DAV Arizona Chapter 16. They operate a TRIFTSTORE in Prescott on 5th Street.
Purveyors of Imagination and Knowledge
Veterans needing claims assistance can go to :
- Building 13 at the VA hospital houses Services Officers from the DAV, the VFW and the American Legion.
- VA Veterans Benefits counselor Ruth Fundalewicz is also located in Building 13 of the VA. Unfortunately we have to share her with Phoenix so her Prescott hours are limited. She's in the area on select Wednesdays.
- Arizona Department of Veterans Services Benefits Counselors. These are full time state (not VA) employees whose only job is to ensure you receive the benefits you've earned with your service. Thelocal office is staffed with 3 Benefits Counselors.